What Are Some Important Facts and Statistics About Prostate Cancer?
- Prostate cancer represents the most common solid organ cancer in US men and the third leading cause of cancer deaths behind lung and colorectal cancer. About 1 man in 9 will be diagnosed with prostate cancer during his lifetime.
- Prostate cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in American men, behind lung cancer.
- About 1 man in 41 will die of prostate cancer.
- It is estimated that there will be 191,930 new cases of prostate cancer and 33,330 deaths from prostate cancer in 2020. Prostate cancer is rare before the age of 40. Mean age at diagnosis is 66.
Which Men Are At Highest Risk of Developing Prostate Cancer?
- African-American men and Caribbean men of African ancestry
- Men with a strong family history of prostate cancer especially multiple first-degree male relatives who were diagnosed at a young age.